Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chapter Nine: Questioning the Media

1) What are your earliest recollections of magazines? Which magazines do you read regularly today? Why?
My earliest recollections and memories of magazines would have to be my dad's National Geographic magazine. My dad has always had a subscription to National Geographic, I never read National Geographic until I was old enough to read it; when I was younger I just enjoyed looking at pictures of animals and different cultures. When I was around the age of entering school my parents got me a subscription to Ranger Rick and Wildlife magazine because of my interest in animals and wildlife. Today I do not regularly read any magazine but when I have the opportunity I will flip through magazines such as Sports Illustrated, Newsweek, and National Geographic. I usually get this opportunity when I am at a doctor or dentist's office.

7) Do you think cable television, the Internet, and other technology will eventually displace magazines? Why or why not?
I do not think that cable television, the Internet, and other technologies will eventually displace magazines. Cable television will not ever be able to completely create the variety and abundance of magazines in circulation. The Internet is really hard to moderate and charge money for media. However, the main reason I think and feel magazines will not become obsolete and be replaced is because people like to have something they can hold in their hands and flip through the pages and gawk at pictures. Also, many people collect magazines and pictures in magazines and many art students use them to make collages and other forms of art.

No comments: